Home News ZANU PF Pushes for National Hero Status for Slain Businessman Joseph Mutangadura

ZANU PF Pushes for National Hero Status for Slain Businessman Joseph Mutangadura

by Bustop TV News
Joseph Mutangadura Burial Set for Saturday

ZANU PF’s Mashonaland East Province has officially submitted a request for prominent Ruwa businessman Joseph Mutangadura to be declared a national hero following his tragic death in an alleged armed robbery at his farmhouse on the night of Sunday, August 17, 2025.

The 67-year-old entrepreneur, who played an active role in ZANU PF structures within Goromonzi district, was known for his strong support for the ruling party and his contributions to national development.

Speaking to The Herald, the province’s political commissar, Lincoln Matare, confirmed that a formal application had been made to the party leadership.

“We have asked the national leadership to consider conferring national hero status on Cde Mutangadura in recognition of his role in post-independence development and dedication to party activities,” said Matare.

“He was among the pioneering group of indigenous businesspeople who not only helped grow the economy but also created vital employment opportunities, particularly for the youth.”

Munyaradzi Kashambe, a member of the ZANU PF Central Committee, echoed the sentiment, highlighting Mutangadura’s commitment to social responsibility.

“He was a loyal district member who gave back generously to both the party and the community. Over 500 people were employed through his businesses, and he covered school fees for more than 200 disadvantaged students,” Kashambe said.

According to Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) spokesperson, Commissioner Paul Nyathi, Mutangadura was shot during a violent robbery at his Ruwa home, widely known as Mutangadura Hideout, just after 11 PM.

Nyathi revealed that a gang of seven masked attackers armed with pistols, crowbars, and hammers overpowered the on-duty security guard, tied him up using shoelaces, and forced their way into the house.

The assailants ordered the guard and Mutangadura’s son to lie on the floor before heading to the master bedroom, where they shot Mutangadura in the stomach as he slept beside his wife.

The gang looted the house before escaping. Both Mutangadura and his wife were found unconscious and rushed to Eden Hospital in Windsor, Ruwa, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. His wife is being treated for injuries sustained in the attack.

Mutangadura was a well-known figure in Ruwa’s business landscape, with interests in various ventures including Mutangaz Hideout, Mutangaz Panyama, and Lisheen Estate.

His death has left the local community in shock, and calls for justice and recognition continue to grow.

ALSO READ : Chitungwiza gets Zig 13 million Devolution Funds

Related Articles